A set of protocols have been developed by the Government of Dubai. They’re in place to make sure there’s a consistent and effective approach to keeping everyone at school safe and healthy once schools open again in September. All schools will have to comply with these protocols. Here, we look at some of the most salient points laid out by KHDA.
What’s included in the protocols?
The protocols cover different areas of school and university operations, such as entry, pick-up and school visit procedures; screening and contact tracing; physical distancing arrangements; and school buses.
Will all schools and universities be open to students in the new academic year?
Schools and universities will be allowed to open and operate from the start of the 2020/21 academic year, provided they comply with specific health and safety protocols.
Can students continue with distance learning in the new term?
While face-to-face learning remains the preferred education model, we understand that different parents have different views, especially in the first phases of re-opening. As a temporary measure, schools can and should provide 100% distance learning provision in the new academic year to parents who request it.
How will this affect school fees and exams?
Each school has its own approach to fees and exams. Please check with your child’s school directly to find out more.
What health and safety conditions will be introduced in the new academic year?
Maintaining health and safety is everyone’s responsibility. Conditions to protect students and staff include:
- Screening all students and staff for temperature at entry point to the school.
- Maintaining physical distance guidelines as recommended by the relevant health authorities and reducing the head-count capacity in classrooms.
- Limiting gatherings and suspending group activities such as school celebrations, and sports events.
- Organising and managing the students’ working day including mealtimes to avoid high concentrations of students in one place.
- Sterilising the school building, classrooms, laboratories and other facilities regularly.
- Ensuring that support and maintenance service staff do not enter the school when students and staff are present.
- Appointing a trained health and safety official to ensure that people and processes in the school comply with health and safety protocol.
Will buses be operating?
Buses will be able to operate at 50% capacity, and must also comply with health and safety protocols, including taking the temperatures of all passengers boarding the bus; keeping windows open as much as possible; and disinfecting handles, rails and other frequently used areas of the bus.