His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Abu Dhabi, has declared 2019 as the ‘Year of Tolerance’. This year will be focusing on the five main pillars that are designed to enhance the nation’s commitment to the values of co-existence and peace, locally, regionally, and internationally.
These pillars seek to:
- Deepen co-existence and peace among cultures and people by teaching the UAE’s youth about the values of tolerance.
- Position the UAE as the global capital for tolerance, via a series of initiatives and projects, including dialogue between various cultures and nationalities.
- Undertake multiple cultural programmes in order to help build tolerant communities.
- Focus on legislative and policy-oriented objectives that contribute to cultural and religious tolerance through dialogue.
- Promote tolerance and co-existence through targeted media initiatives and projects.
His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan affirmed that declaring 2019 as the Year of Tolerance reflects the approach adopted by the UAE since its establishment: to be a bridge of communication between the people of the world and their various cultures, in an open and respectful environment that rejects extremism and emphasises acceptance of other people.