This summer, AlUla invites families and adventurers to enjoy its vast natural landscapes, quiet splendor and ancient sites. A range of accommodation offers, spectacular dining opportunities, and numerous exciting outdoor adventures make the unspoiled beauty of AlUla an unbeatable offer for travelers and explorers of all ages!
Unmissable Daytime Activities
- Only recently rediscovered by the world, AlUla, once at the crossroads of The Silk Road and The Incense Route, is rich in historical, geographical significance. Hegra, for instance, the ancient desert city, is home to thousands of tombs cut into the sandstone mountains and is the first registered UNESCO World Heritage Site in Saudi Arabia. Tours are conducted four times daily, all designed to avoid the heat of the midday sun.
- Dadan and Jabal Ikmah tours showcase the magnificent stone remains of the Dadan and Lihyan kingdoms, as well as the Jabal Ikmah’s open-air library of rock inscriptions from ancient languages as varied as Aramaic, Dadanitic, Thamudic, Minaic and Nabataean. Tours start daily at 9.00 am and 4.00 pm.
- Old Town tours, conducted by a local ‘rawi’ or storyteller, allows visitors to explore the labyrinth of mud-brick buildings that date back as early as the 12th-century and operate daily at 9.00 am, 10.00 am, 4.00 pm and 5.00 pm.
- Then there is the Oasis Trail, a free activity that can be enjoyed without a guide between 8.00 am and 4.00 pm daily. It’s a 3km walk from Dadan South and ends at the Old Town, passing by the green oasis of AlWadi. Offering visitors an extraordinary nature stroll through the AlUla farms, it is suitable for families and nature lovers, no matter what their age. And we mustn’t forget the Cycling Trail, where visitors follow the pack leader on a leisurely bike ride through the sand dunes and surrounded by AlUla’s unique landscapes. This 14km trail boasts stunning vistas and is suitable for ages 12+.
Eating and Shopping
For shopping and food lovers, the Old Town Market is open daily. Visitors can enjoy traditional and delicious Saudi cuisine in restaurants along The Old Incense Route from noon, including Suhail, Merkaz, Alrahba Café, and Alnakheel Café. Or enjoy a mouth-watering fast-food meal at One o’ One Burger. Visitors can take advantage of a traditional and time-honored AlUla shopping experience from 3.00 pm till 11.00 pm.
Unique Evening Activities
- Far from city lights, remote desert lands create some of the world’s most enviable dark skies. This makes AlUla an idyllic location for stargazing. And to make the experience even more unique, it’s all held outdoors amongst Gharameel’s mystical rock formations.
- The Adventure Night Trail is a three to four hour guided hike through the extraordinary canyons of Al Madakheel and Sharaan Nature Reserve, providing opportunities to discover the local flora, fauna, as well as various rock art and drawings. The adventure is available evenings only, with a difficulty rating of Easy to Medium.
- The Hidden Valley Night Hike is a 1.5-hour journey through one of AlUla’s most secluded and enchanting canyons. Offering stunning views and wide-open desert landscapes, the hike is only available on Fridays and by request during the summer.
AlUla is such a unique destination because of its layer upon layer of human history and its wealth of natural wonders. Few locations can boast such a rich combination of heritage, culture and natural beauty. And what better time than the summer of 2021 for travelers from around the world to explore and discover AlUla and all of its many treasures!